Rant: using recent GTK prevents me from hacking on Meld

Hi,

I really like Meld. I'm a good Python programmer. I had an idea for Meld that I wanted to see if I can implement. I have ubuntu 14.04, which is the version the Ubuntu official site currently says is "recommended for most users". Ubuntu 14.04 has GTK 3.10, and Meld requires GTK 3.12. I spent several hours trying to compile GTK 3.12 on my machine, without success.

I understand that supporting an older version of GTK is annoying because GTK is breaking things carelessly. It's just sad.

(My message won't make you switch to Qt, right?)

Thanks for the great work
(although I can only enjoy the great work you did until two years ago),

Noam