Re: Feature request: custom window layout for three way merge

On 13 October 2011 01:28, Marco Schincaglia <marcoschincaglia gmail com> wrote:

>> Can you explain why this is better? It deviates pretty significantly
>> from the way Meld tries to show three-way differences.
>>

> The reason is that having three columns next to each other makes each column
> very narrow (unless you have a very large monitor)

Sorry for the delayed reply; this got lost in my inbox.

To be fair, I use this view regularly on a 22" monitor, which is
almost the smallest thing you could buy new, and it's not too bad. Now
having said that, horizontal space is definitely at a premium for us
in three-pane views, so using it more effectively is certainly
interesting.

> so I find it difficult to
> compare differences from LOCAL to REMOTE since I have to scroll right,
> especially if I have long lines of code.

I guess I don't see the advantage that this layout offers over having
a separate text window open where you edit the results of the merge.
As far as I can tell, there's no real advantage to using Meld for that
view, since you're not using any of the tools that Meld provides.

> Obviously this is only my impression, and I understand it deviates from the
> current way of displaying three way merge.

Right. I'm not sure how this would be integrated into our current UI.
It might be possible, but I'm not sure how it would work, or whether
there might be a better solution available.

I'm hesitant to suggest other options here, since I can't imagine that
I'll get around to implementing them any time soon. However, one
possibility would be to provide a way to temporarily collapse the
central column of a three-way comparison so that you could easily
compare the left and right sides. That might be more in-line with the
way Meld currently does things.

cheers,
Kai