Re: Request for information

On 28 October 2010 19:04, Luca Pascali <pasckosky gmail com> wrote:
> First of all I'd like to say that meld is a great tool.
> Just a couple of things on the interface:
>
> It always happens that when I open directory comparison I deselect the show
> same manually.
> I tried to look in the preferences (I'm using version 1.3.0, shipped with
> Ubuntu Lucid), but I was not able to find any way to tell meld not to show
> same files by default.
> Setting it will be great because everytime I start a comparison, I have to
> make comparison twice (at least for some files). That can be slow if at
> least one directory is on a network filesystem

Remembering these settings is a nice idea. The problem is how the
settings should be remembered. The easiest option would be to simply
persist the last setting of all filters across sessions. I'm not sure
that this is a safe option though; people might not notice that they
have filters set from last time, and missing changes is a bad thing.

(This request is already filed as bug 605122.)

> The second thing is always on directory comparison. Probably it's more a
> wish.
> Sometimes I have to work with Windows filesystems (via Samba or CIFS), and
> as you know Windows filesystem is case preserving, but by default it is set
> to be case insensitive (setting it as case sensitive is more a problem than
> a solution).
> I use Linux on Windows system thanks to coLinux and andLinux projects, and
> thus for directory and file comparison I prefer to use meld instead of other
> tools (that are less intuitive and user friendly, at least for me).
> The problem is the filename case. It would be great if it was possible to
> switch off case sensivitiness in directory comparison in order to have files
> named MAKEFILE and Makefile compared. In case of multiple hits (such as
> DirA: MAKEFILE and Makefile, and DirB: mAkEFIle and MAKEfile), meld could
> raise an error, or highlight in a particular way those files threating them
> as new on both sides.

You should be able to do this by clicking the "Case" button on the
toolbar, or at View -> Case in the menus. Yes, this is not well named.
Let me know if this doesn't do what you want, as I must have
misunderstood the problem.

cheers,
Kai