Re: Blocking DNS lookup on MC startup

On Mon, 29 May 2006, mc rigacci org wrote:

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 19:03 +0200, mc rigacci org wrote:
Why this annoying lookup? Is there a way to avoid it?

If you have a slow or non-functional connection to the X server, just
unset DISPLAY.
This is FAQ, question 9.2.

Thanks for your answer,

but I forgot to say that FAQ 9.2 does not apply: DISPLAY is not
set at all, X is not running on the machine and the problem
exists both on "ssh -x" (disable X11 forwarding) and on console
login.

Anyway, why MC try to resolve on the DNS the name of network
interfaces? When this make sense? Is this related to X?

Someone was complaining about the same issue recently. I think
he/she was experiencing this long delay on a FreeBSD system. Can
you give us more details about the system on which you run MC and
see the long delay ? The output of "mc -V" would be usefull too.

Thanks!