4.6.1-pre1 and ~ in Copy/Move operations

I've just installed mc 4.6.1-pre1 on a Debian Woody system (using the
package provided by www.backports.org) and everything seems to work just
fine, except for one thing: if I want to copy or move a file to my home
directory and I enter a "~" as a destination in the F5/F6 dialog window,
the file gets copied/moved literally to "~", not to my home.

I'm quite sure this wasn't the default behaviour in mc 4.55 and I didn't
find any bugreports on bugs.debian.org or Savannah. I'd like to know if
it's a bug in the particular package I installed, or anyone else is
experiencing it (or it's an intended feature?)

Thanks!

Cri