Re: Devel list alive? UTF-8 & Merging patches with CVS

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 16:41 +0200, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
Hi Marcel,

Then when I set an utf8 locale I get a messed up screen, where the line-
drawing characters, etc are all blocks (in gnome-terminal) or
questionmarks (on console):
http://www.chaosmongers.org/linux/mc-utf8.jpg

I do not see this when using xterm, gnome-terminal or kterm. I can
produce this behaviour by setting the character coding for the
gnome-terminal to a different charset (fe ISO-8859-15 when
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 or vice versa). What terminal program are you using?
Any option to set the charset for your terminal? How about a console?
What kind of result does the original Fedora rpm get you?

Ok, I've been reading up on unicode, I guess that was rather needed.
It happened that I set the loacle to UTF8 in a running terminal, which
meant that the terminal itself isn't running in an utf8 locale. I've
rebooted so everything should be running in a utf8 locale now, and now
things are fine (almost).

In an xterm or gnome-terminal all is fine.

On console some things are not as it should.
The first time I start mc, there are no alignments, just the file
listing, etc. Then when I run Drakconf (which uses newt, and is compiled
on slang-utf8), quit drakconf and start mc again, there are alignments.
Then when I start drakconf again, it's all messy with blocks and
questionmarks. Quitting drakconf and starting mc shows that mc is
unaffected.
The environment variables before and after running drakconf are the
same.
So I assume something in slang-utf8, newt or drakconf messes things up.
Or maybe the console itself isn't fully utf8, because when I run an utf8
example file, not all characters are shown correct (blocks), while in an
xterm they are fine
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-demo.txt)
This makes it offtopic for a list about mc, I know, sorry.

--
Marcel Pol