Re: esc key

Hello!

Quoting bulia byak <bulia dr com>:

Now that the handling of keys in mc is definitely
improving, do we still need the old esc-prefixed way of
entering keys as the default? On the other hand, the
counterintuitive behavior of esc is one of the major
deterrents for newbie users and one of the reasons
that some people consider mc "weird" and "unusable"
(I'm speaking from experience here).

Agreed.

What I propose is this: for backward compatibility,
keep both "old" and "new" modes as they are, but add a
third more which removes any delays after pressing esc,
and make this mode the default on new installations.
No new keyboard handling code needs to be written; we
can reuse the code of the "new mode" but with a delay
set to some small value instead of one second.

Maybe the delay should be an integer variable in milliseconds?  Different
terminals, different connections and different users will need different delays.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin