problem with viewing large files

Hi all,

Im having a strange problem with viewing large binary files using mc.

I have one file thats 3.7Gb:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     3721035776 Feb  7 15:46 tapedata_1.dat

When i go to view this file, mc bombs and gives me the following error:

GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate -573931520 bytes

At first i though this was an error with Glib and lfs, however i
have another file even larger:
-rw-rw-rw-    1 root     root     4789108736 Feb 11 11:42 tapedata.001

I can view this file with no problems in both ascii and hex and search
throught the binary with no problems.

So the problem seems to be file specific, but i can cat and hexdump the
file without any problem and ive fscked the filesystem its on and it
reports no errors.

anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be?

heres my version details:

GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Edition: text mode with X11 support to read modifiers
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, ftpfs, mcfs, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
Using default locale

Thanks

Adam

Technical Consultant