Ctrl-A, Ctrl-E have no effect

MC 4.8.13 on arch linux 3.18.0.1 mainline

My laptop lacks certain keys, notably Home, End, PgUp and
PgDown. Alt-V and Ctrl-V provide the function of PgUp and
PgDown. Supposedly Ctrl-A and Ctrl-E should supply those of
Home and End, but in fact do nothing. I've tried putting
other key combos in mc.keymap instead, but they also had no
effect.

Do I need to make a special compile of MC to get their
particular functionality, or is there some other means to
that end?

--
Graham Lawrence