Re: Gettext version bump [was Re: make distcheck warnings]

Quoting Leonard den Ottolander <leonard den ottolander nl>:

> Hi Pavel,
>
> On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 19:51 -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > What kind of breakage do you see or expect to see?
>
> Being unable to build mc on such legacy systems as the build
> requirements are not met. This version bump also bumps the version
> requirements for automake and autoconf.

You are supposed to build from a tarball on such systems, not from CVS.

> > Darwin support without that ugly kludge in configure.ac.  Less warnings
> (there
> > are still plenty of them in the gettext code if you run my mctest, but
> neither
> > of them seems to indicate a real problem).
>
> I'd rather live with a few redundant warnings than without a more recent
> mc on such legacy systems.

I'm yet to see any complaints from anyone who actually tried that.

If you insist on building from CVS on legacy systems, I could write a wrapper or
replacement for autopoint to ignore the version requirements for gettext.  I
could also ask gettext maintainers to allow support for the "at least" operator
for gettext version - I think it should be safe for mc.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin