Re: make distcheck warnings

Quoting Leonard den Ottolander <leonard den ottolander nl>:

> Hello Pavel,
>
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 20:55 -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > I chose version 0.14.3 was chosen because Fedora Core 4 supplies it.  It
> > should be old enough for the core developers to have it, and new enough
> > to have most bugs fixed.
>
> I'm not so sure it's such a good idea to have the build depend on such a
> recent version of gettext. You might fix a few bugs, but you break
> compatibility with a lot of legacy systems.

What kind of breakage do you see or expect to see?  Could you please provide
more details?  I actually think newer versions of gettext should work better
with legacy systems, since the fixes are incorporated into gettext runtime over
time.

> What exactly is it we need
> version 0.14.3 for?

Darwin support without that ugly kludge in configure.ac.  Less warnings (there
are still plenty of them in the gettext code if you run my mctest, but neither
of them seems to indicate a real problem).

Actually, the CVS version of gettext supports message contexts, so it would be
nice to switch to it soon after it's released.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin