Re: Fallback / Classic Mode

Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Brian Cameron
> <brian cameron oracle com> wrote:
>
>         My understanding was that GNOME 3.0 was simply not targeting
>         these
>         users, and that the expectation was that Fallback/Classic mode
>         would
>         be ready for such users in a forthcoming release.  To me, it
>         makes
>         sense for GNOME to first focus on the more common-case GNOME
>         users
>         for the GNOME 3.0 release (e.g. desktop/laptop/notebook
>         users).  By
>         the time GNOME 3.x starts being released in a supported
>         fashion by
>         major distros, I am sure the Fallback/Classic mode issues will
>         be
>         resolved.

GNOME 3 was designed as a general purpose desktop, appropriate for all
the things that GNOME 2 was appropriate for. It should work very well
for sysadmins and other enterprise roles, better than GNOME 2, in fact.

<snip>
> What we do want is to give the impression that this is where
> enterprise desktops should go.  Because ease of use, good design means
> less training, and in the end less problem tickets.  (which means that
> someone of should be hitting help desk conferences. :-)

I couldn't agree more. This is really important. To many people, GNOME 3
might seem like it is just for netbooks or home users. We need to dispel
that impression.

One thing that we can do is emphasise productivity in our marketing
materials. I did a bad job at this when I wrote the gnome3.org content,
and I've been meaning to update it for a while. The message is already
present in the release notes, though.

The other thing we could do - and this is something I'd really like to
see - is have a testimonials page for gnome3.org. Does anybody fancy
taking this on?

Any other ideas?

Best,

Allan