Re: Friends of GNOME Badges

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 08:43 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Claus Schwarm <clschwarm googlemail com> wrote:
> >
> > is hardly very convincing copy. Maybe, our problem is the conversion
> > rate of this page?
>
> I agree we could make it more appealing - tell people why, ask for
> their help, etc.

If we could track some of our promoters somehow, we could contact them
and ask for a testimonial -- why they help us, why they think this is
important, and why others should join in.

We could then display their statements together with their Gravatar
images and a link to their blog or homepage in a sidebar to that page.

> I've also thought it would be really fun if we could give people some
> type of affiliate code and track how many people they got to sign up.
> I'm not sure exactly how to do that easily though.

Me too but that's probably to much trouble for the promoters.

> > However, here are some other means to make the badge ad more effective:
> >
> > * Enlarge it (eg. like the friends ruler).
> > * Switch to a more notable color.
> > * Add images of real people to it.
> > * Display it more often.
>
> We could make a badge to promote promoting ...
>
> In general though we haven't displayed the badge on any of GNOME's sites.

The GNOME Journal has it, but it's placed in the footer.

I've seen the ruler has nearly reached its goal. Maybe we could replace
it by a "We're-looking-for-50-bloggers-to-help-us-promote-FoG" ruler?

> > Next, while I have no overview on GNOME's other means, we could mention
> > the 'Promote FoG' program regularly:
> >
> > * in GNOME's newsletter,
> > * in GNOME's twitter feed, and
> > * in GNOME's facebook feed.
>
> I can put it on twitter and facebook.

Cool! :-)

> > We could also do an Google adwords campaign for the Promote FoG thing,
> > provided we could find some good keywords that potential bloggers may
> > use to find Not-for-profit stuff to support.
>
> This is a good idea. Maybe just the general GNOME keywords ...

I see if I can come up with something.

Regards,
Claus