Re: Summary of responses to round one questions about 3.0

Hi Jason,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
> Caveats:
> Seth, who we had discussed on our conference call in the context of the
> Pooper and the public image of Gnome 3.0, was one of the respondents. Other
> than confirming that he saw "Shell as 3.0" and not mentioning *any* of the
> ideas in his blog posts, his response was incomprehensible,
> post-modern evasion. I only bring this up because I think that it's safe to
> say at this point that none of Seth's ideas have any other champions.

Have to say, this is in very poor taste, for a number of reasons.  The
least of which is that you indicated that the responses would not be
shared.

For what it is worth, I happen to hold Seth's opinions and ideas in
very high regard.  And he brought a lot of both to the hackfest.
There's just something kinda not cool about the way you've
characterized his input into your process.

> No one from Shell replied. I begged them to in the middle of the week but it
> hasn't happened. I asked again today and Owen said that they weren't
> planning on answering our four questions anyway but that he would follow up
> to this list with a separate post. Jon McCann expressed resentment that we
> even asked anyone these questions. I have logs of the entire conversations
> regarding this topic should anyone care to revisit it but I think it best to
> just move on.

For the record, not quite resentment.  Basically said two things:
1. polling hackfest participants is not a good way to try to
understand what we are planning and going to do for GNOME 3
2. Owen would respond in short order with a more instructive roadmap
(he has already done so)

That said, the somewhat accusatory tone of your questionnaire didn't
really give me a warm fuzzy and make me want to jump on board.  And I
have no idea what the purpose of the above paragraph is.

Anyway, reasonable folks, let's all work together to market GNOME 3,
shall we?  Perhaps with a little more tact.

Thanks,
Jon