Re: Marketing Hackfest Kickoff - GNOME 3.0 Website Feedback Requested

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 20:48 -0500, Paul Cutler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're just a couple of weeks away from the Marketing Hackfest.  One of
> the ideas that's come up is to have a GNOME 3.0 specific website (or
> subsite).  I don't know if this means it will use the new Plone CMS
> that's currently being set up or something else, but for the moment
> that's not important.
>
> I'd like to gather community feedback (that's you!) on what you'd like
> to see a GNOME 3.0 website feature.
>
> Please reply to the list - everyone's feedback is welcome!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best,
>
> Paul

For me, I've seen 3.0 demonstrations a couple of times, including at the
last Marketing hackfest in Chicago.  And honestly, I couldn't quite
grasp what 3.0 is truly about.  A lot of cool exciting words thrown
about, but it looked also like something that requires quite a bit of
learning curve if you're used to the old way and are a creature of habit
(like me!)

Learning is always the single biggest challenge in any adoption.

So I suggest marketing 3.0 by teaching how to use it right off the bat.
Create some simulations on the website where people can abe guided step
by step.  Not a read-through tutorial, but an actual simulation.

"if you do this step, watch what happens.  Bravo.  Now let's try another
trick.... Bravo... Next.. " and so on.

People can get a rudimentary feel for how to use 3.0 and feel less
intimidated than when they try it out of the box.  This would reduce
telling people "RTFM, dude!" (which I hate)  and would help close the
gaps between the knows and dont-knows.

It also can give a user experience to those out there who haven't tried
GNOME/FOSS and can get a little taste of it before actually trying
GNOME/FOSS.

That's my thought right out of the gate here.  How easy it is to
actually create such a simulation?  I wouldn't know.  :-)

Bryen