Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 18:13 +0200, Арангел Ангов wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone tried to make a liveCD using a daily breezy build?

Yes :)

> I downloaded the one from yesterday, added thunderbird and firefox for
> windows in the winprogs dir and changed all the splash screens and
> background and stuff. The CD builds and I can boot it but the problem is
> that when It's loading afterwards It stops while configuring the X
> server and cannot continue further. I guess this is because the X was
> broken in the breezy .iso I got.

You can simply check on this by burning the unchanged iso on a CD and
testing that. I have used an iso from the 14/08 and that works fine. May
be a problem with your hardware or your hardware is not correctly
detected.

> Another thing, I've translated all the files in the /locale dir using
> Gedit and saved them using UTF-8 encoding. When the CD boots all I see
> are a bunch of hieroglyphs. The Live CD should be in Macedonian, so the
> characters are cyrillic. I can save these files with iso-8859-5 but not
> sure If that would change anything.

The bootloader is running on a plain console and for historical reasons
there are only american characters (aka ASCII :) available. Only the
framebuffer can display utf-8 but is not started before the kernel
boots. You may bug the GRUB people about this. The reason for not having
a framebuffer from the start is robustness: the console always works. I
wonder how MS is handling that.

For your case that means to rewrite the bootloader help texts in ASCII.

Marcus