Re: Tiles and Mapbox

Hello, Federico from Wikimedia here. Thanks for finding a short-term solution; I agree that supporting Mapbox in some way makes sense.

On the other hand, if you happen to look for alternatives, I suggest to check what the Wikimedia Foundation is doing: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps#Production_maps_cluster All the code running https://maps.wikimedia.org/ is available, and data on its usage etc. too. I'm told the infrastructure is supposed to be reusable by others.

Wikimedia wikis have always had the problem of not being able to use MapBox or others, because loading external resources would affect performance and privacy, leaking the users' IPs. Only recently the Wikimedia Foundation has had resources to build a stable solution, which is still getting mature.

Nemo