[libxml++] Re: Please conform to existing coding standards

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 20:09, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Stefan, even after we talked about this and I had to remove such changes
> > from your patch, you have continued to make changes such as:
> > - Removing parameter names from method declarations in header files.
> > - Changing "Something* " to "Something *".
> >
> > Please do not. I'm serious.
>
> ok. I'm sorry, especially for the first. As to the second, that's
> strictly a 'coding style' issue.

Yes. Please conform to existing standards.

>  And as the current libxml++ code
> contains both styles,

No, Something* is used widely, and has been agreed upon for this
project. "Something *" is used only in the SaxParser code, which I said
I would fix, and which I tried to fix already but whose corrections I
lost because of your own faulty patch. You know this. This is not news
to you.

>  I just continued to use my own, which happens
> to be 'Something *'. You mentioned that you didn't consider this to
> be correct. Why ?

It's not a matter of correct. It's what we want to do for this project.
It's bad enough to change code to use your own style. It's even worse to
changed code to your own style while making no other changes on that
line. And it's even worse to change code to your own style when I have
already told you once not to do it.

> However, please put some 'coding guidelines' somewhere if ever you
> want contributors to respect them. It's arbitrary, so it has to
> be fixed.

In the absence of guidelines, contributors should conform to existing
styles as found in source files, even if different source files have
different styles (they don't). That's normal.

Please tell me that you have agreed to this.

murray usa net