Re: [ANNOUNCE] libchamplain 0.6

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:

> Thanks, will have a look at your patches.
>
> Regarding submitting patches, it's best to create your own branch of
> libchamplain at gitorious
>
> http://gitorious.org/libchamplain/mainline
>
> and request a merge. The mailing list has a 40KB limit for attachments
> and your patch was over this limit so I received some warnings.
>
> The trunk is currently identical to the 0.6 branch so I'll apply it
> there as well. I think for bindings it's not worth investing much time
> to 0.7 until the API is frozen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jiri

I have already a branch in gitorious but for this task it was easier
for me to just clone 2 time the repository and compare branch 0.4 and
move stuff to 0.6 - I will add changes to the branch in the future.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 srem org> wrote:

> The plan is still in the works, while I get myself into the insides of
> libchamplain (Jiri is probably scared after reading that sentence ;)
> and Emerillon.
> If there are cons for releasing with libchamplain 0.6 then please
> write them here and I'll branch it off before the latest changes. The
> plan for June is to close all remaining bugs and make emerillon GNOME
> 3.0 ready.

I have no problems with libchamplain-0.6 at all.. :) I was just asking
because there was no talk around Emerillon at all (or I missed it). I
would just like that Emerillon stabilizes and that the plan for the
future is clear. I also hope that Emerillon is included in Gnome as a
central map application, it is too late for Gnome 3.0 but I hope that
we can recommend it for inclusion into Gnome 3.2. But first a new
stable release with plugins would be great. :)

>Also I'll probably switch the plugin manager to libpeas,
> but that shouldn't affect the plugin authors much.

As long as Vala bindings for libpeas are available. :)

> The "sudden" dependency  isn't actually so sudden, because the only
> two other developers working on Emerillon (you and Simon ;) that I
> know of, prefer to write plugins in Vala and the next Emerillon
> release together with the first emerillon-plugins release will feature
> plugins written in Vala — sadly the last release of Vala has broken
> libchamplain bindings. (that's 3 times vala and 2 times plugins in one
> sentence, eek)

> Actually Vala isn't a hard dependency, you can build it fine without
> it (I hope, will test it tomorrow), but you'll miss some plugins…

You can also generate from vala the c files and you have no build
dependency on vala at all - for all . :)

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Simon Wenner <simon wenner gmail com> wrote:

> No, Emerillon will not directly depend on Vala. It's only possible to write
> plugins in Vala. If you don't have Vala or don't like Vala, then these
> plug-ins will get disabled by configure and will not be built.
>
> But rewriting Emerillon in Vala is not a bad idea... ;-)
I agree. :))

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Simon Wenner <simon wenner gmail com> wrote:
> Oh I forgot to post half of my answer:
> Do we really need a new patch to add Vala bindings? Can't we just apply all
> Vala related patches from the 0.4 branch, bump the version, add the Memphis
> dependency, rebuild the GI file, and then regenerate the bindings (vapi)
> file?
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Well.. this is exactly what I did for the bindings + added autotool
stuff - however you at least need a patch for the rebuilded vapi file
because it isn't generated at build time.
Next thing what I want to try is make the procedure automatically at
build time - with libmemphis vala bindings available this should now
be possible.

regards, Tomaž