Re: [jokosher-devel] Moving icons

On 26/09/06, Daniel Holbach <daniel holbach ubuntu com> wrote:
Hello Chris,

Am Dienstag, den 26.09.2006, 14:06 +0100 schrieb Chris Brown:
> I imagine its still there. This is for fedora however. My concerns
> (which I expressed in reply to that original mail) were that I could
> not see a way in which uninstallation was catered for. I'm also a
> little hesitant (perhaps unecessarily) at running a setup script as
> root without knowing exactly what the whole thing does. Its looks fine
> but will need to be maintained and I dont think its the right method
> for installing an app as essentially its defining a new method of
> software installation, no?

the process of building the package in Ubuntu/Debian and maybe even in
the .rpm world makes use of the setup.py (to install files into the
package). You're right, the package manager (dpkg for Debian/Ubuntu) and
rpm do take care of the de-installation.

This is how it's supposed to work with RPMs as well.

rpmbuild should either 'make && make install' or run a setup script.
Custom installing everything file by file in the spec file is a last
resort. That approach means doing it separately for each distro (which
is something I thought we were trying to avoid).

Using the setup script in the spec file do the install will make it
trivial to 'rpmbuild --rebuild' on any RPM based distro. It also means
the spec file doesn't have to be rewritten every time an important
file changes places.

--
Jeff Ratliff (Gomer_X)