Re: Fixing gvfs-backend-afc for iPhone/iPod Touch access

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 11:32 +0200, Martin S. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As talked about briefly with David Zeuthen on IRC, I'll try to announce
> a new backend for GVFS in order to get some help making it work and
> allow User Joe to plug'n'play his devices.
>
> It is a backend using libiphone to communicate with iPhone/iPod Touch
> devices using the AFC protocol in a native way and allow filesystem
> access to those.
>
> It uses the afc://uuid:port/ scheme (uuid is a unique device id, port is
> used to spawn a different afc service on the device and allow root
> filesystem access on jailbroken devices).

How does one discover a UUID? Why can't the same scheme as before be
used (it's been hashed to death on this list)?

<snip>
> David proposed including it in the main GVFS tree with a conditional
> build.
>
> The source code can be found here:
> http://cgit.sukimashita.com/gvfs-backend-afc.git/
>
> I am aware that the attempt at this backend is probably not perfect as
> the main goal was to quickly have a very very basic thing working with
> proper automounting to replace a HAL fdi "fake" mount method we use now
> along with a fuse fs driver (and be able to close our last bug for a 1.0
> libiphone release).
>
> However writing a GVFS backend without documentation where small things
> can hold progress back for hours because one does not know how the whole
> system works is like a science itself and not really straightforward...
>
> Thus I ask for help, especially for the volume monitor code.
>
> The backend currently detects a plugged in device however one ends up
> with:
> - Volume (is the enclosing volume for the mount)
>   - Mount (seems to be the mount from afc volume)
> - Mount (as if mounted using afc://uuid/ directly)
>
> The volume monitor appears to do the g_file_mount_enclosing_volume() but
> the gvfs-backend creates another mount point.
>
> As the gvfs-backend knows how to set the right display name and icons,
> it would desired if it would create the mount but with the volume as the
> parent.
>
> When removing the device the volume monitor mount and volume is removed
> and disappears while the backend mount is still sitting there and
> causing issues when plugging the device back in.
>
> Well, any help is appreciated also on IRC in channel #nautilus (psp250).

Could you please rebase your code to be integrated with gvfs and let me
know where your branch is? I'll do a review, and we can push this first
thing into gvfs 2.29 (or try to sneak it in disabled in 2.27).

Cheers