Re: GMountOperation issues

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 00:52 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Btw, another feature from gnome-mount that I need to teach the
> > > DeviceKit-disks GVfs backend about is showing a notification if
> > > unmounting turns out to be taking a long time [2].
> > >
> > > The naive solution here is to just make the volume monitor process poke
> > > the notification daemon using D-Bus. However, I'm wondering if we want
> > > move this functionality to Nautilus or maybe throw some API at it? I
> > > don't know.
> >
> > It would be nice to show the warning message inside the nautilus
> > window where the unmount was initiated. But the most common case is
> > probably unmounting from the desktop. And for that case, the bubble
> > should be fine.
>
> There's also other users to care about
>
>  - the panel
>  - gedit
>  - volume mount applet
>  - gtk+ file chooser
>
> and they would all need to implement this as well. I don't know.

Thinking more about it, I think we want the same (yet unwritten)
component that is going to yell about SMART status, RAID degradation
etc. to handle this. The DeviceKit-disks daemon already exposes enough
information (and if it doesn't, I'll make it) for this to work.

We might want said (unwritten) component to be a part of Nautilus; then
Nautilus can special case the slowly unmounting mounts for which
Nautilus itself initiated the unmount operation.

    David