Re: [guppi-list] Guppi as a mime-type handler

It's been rumoured that Jon Trowbridge said:

> * The idea of guppi as "helper app" for a browser is not implausible at
>   all.  I'm not quite sure how mozilla handles helper apps, but it
>   can't be too complicated.  IIRC, doesn't it just download the file to
>   /tmp and then launch the app w/ the filename on the command line.
>   At very worst, you'd need to add a few command-line args so that you
>   could put "guppi --import %s" in mozilla's list of helpers for the
>   NetCDF mime type.

this kind of op is 'trivial', and you can do it today in about 5
minutes.  Go to netscape preference panel,  go to 'helper
applications',  type in the mime-type, and the command line args
needed to invoke guppi, you are done, it just works.

The hard part is creating a 'plugin', i.e. a .so shared object
the plugin needs to provide a certain api to netscape/mozilla,
in return, it can draw into a rectangular area inside the html
window, ala shockwve flash.

--linas