Re: [guadec-list] gender field in registration system

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Marina Zhurakhinskaya
<marinazik gmail com> wrote:
Hi Alexandre,

Hey,

Thank you for relating this. I think the downside of someone getting
an invitation they are not interested in is relatively small, so it's
probably not worth having a separate checkbox for opt in for an
invitation. I know people prefer to keep the registration page short.

That's because you're in a US-centric mindset. There's a difference
between the law in the US and in Europe: US is opt-out by default,
Europe is opt-in by default.

European people see unsolicited contact as a very bad thing, and the
usual "Here's a piece of information about our thing, if you don't
want to hear from us again just unsubscribe using the link at the
bottom" is actually not ok.

So while I'm all for short registration form, I prefer having one more
checkbox in it and making a decision at this time rather than getting
more noise in my inbox and having to jump through hoops to get rid of
it. "No thanks" rather than "Please go away now".

However, I don't mind us having it in the future if more people think
that's the best way to go.

Yes, we can change it next year. Too late for this year.

I agree that getting multiple e-mails is annoying. I added a note
about sending individual invitations to the wiki page about the
dinner, so that we preserve it for future years, and related it to
Rosanna, who is organizing the dinner this year, as well.

Thanks.

--
Alexandre Franke