Re: [guadec-list] asian story redone..

Hi,

Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> Asia is the growing market in this century.  The GNOME desktop is
> well positioned to take on this market with massive deployments
> in China and India representing over 150,000 desktops.  There is a

Where does this figure come from? I suspect that GNOME has a higher
presence than this (considering India + Sun-Wah + TurboLinux + Red
Flag), but I have had no luck verifying any figures for the Chinese market.

> growing interest in pursuing the GNU/Linux desktop market in these
> countries and as more deployments ensue the interest will continue
> to mount.  Exciting inroads have been made by Sun, Red Hat, and Novell
> in the asian market.

I'd like to replace the second "growing" ("a growing interest") with
something else - "Momentum is building behind the GNU/Linux desktop, and
 more deployments ensue the interest will continue to mount" or
something similar.

> Simon Phillips of Sun Microsystems, the primary person who negiotated

As Quim said, this is Phipps. Also, we can probably get a quote from him
- typically, Sun employees emails are firstname lastname sun com and
Simon is not an exception (hah - take that spambot).

> the deal with the China's Department of Education will be attending
> and giving one of the many exciting keynote speeches at GUADEC.
> GUADEC is the primary conference of the GNOME Desktop project
> (http://www.gnome.org) traditionally held in Europe where developers,
> enthusiasts, users and businesses from around the world gather to
> exchange and work on new ideas to advanced not only GNOME but the
> GNU/Linux desktop in general.  GUADEC an excellent venue for
> the press to learn about what companies like Novell and Red Hat
> are doing to capture the desktop market in Asia.  Novell has committed
> it's team from India to particpate in GUADEC.

its team. Please, bury the apostrophe :) I'd remove the sentence "GUADEC
an excellent venue..." And I'd rephrase the Novell phrase to say "For
example, Novell is bringing a team of X engineers to GUADEC"

> GUADEC refreshes the bond between developers and provides an avenue
> for users and businesses to provide feedback to the GNOME project.
> GUADEC also attracts participants from sister projects like the KDE
> project pursuing collaborating goals to standardize the GNU/Linux
> desktop.

I'd remove this paragraph altogether, it doesn't add anything.

> Participants as far off as Mongolia are making the trek to Vilanova,
> Spain the current site of GUADEC.  Dulmandakh Sukhbaatar is helping
> to introduce not only free software to Mongolia through install
> fests but GNOME as well based on the popular Ubuntu distribution.
> Dulmandakh, organized the first Mongolian installfest that had
> more than 800 people participating.  Dulmandakh will continue to
> promote GNOME and GNU/Linux using the knowledge that he learns at
> GUADEC to do so.
>
> GUADEC will be held June 24 - June 30th in Viloniva, Spain.

But this is great - we've got a really good central thread - Asia - with
both numbers and the human aspect - corporate investment, momentum in
the region, and human interest with a Mongolian representative. We also
have the Iranian contingent, but I'm not sure how to wriggle that into
the story.

Cheers,
Dave.

--