Re: [guadec-list] Working on the official web theme & layout

Calum,

What dimensions is your browse window?  I did target 1024x768, given that most peopel have at least 1024x768 monitors... It's been a while since manufacturers stopped shipping 800x600 as default... It's trivial to modify the site to fit in a 800x600.

Personally, I'm not sure supporting 800x600 is a good idea, give that the site has to accomodate different preferences of larger font sizes and especially different locales which may have longer/larger phrases than English.

John Hwang // tavon

On 2/24/06, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On 24 Feb 2006, at 08:21, Quim Gil wrote:

> Those of you interested in the look & feel, structure and
> navigation of
> the website are invited to test and suggest improvements on tavon's
> GUADEC theme, already available.
>
> Post your comments at http://live.gnome.org/GUADEC2006/Website or
> replying here, if you feel so lazy.

Sorry, it's Friday afternoon, and I'm lazy :)

Main problem... others have said it, but it's far too wide.  A well-
designed web page fits my browser window, not the other way around.
I have an adequately-large screen (1280x854), but I normally like to
keep my browser window approximately square (and a bit less than the
height of the screen), which keeps the line lengths of most pages
readably-short.  I find anything wider than that to be unpleasant to
look at, let alone read.  If a website forces me to resize my window,
I usually just go somewhere else instead.

My only other comment is about the GNOME logo at the top.  It's not
aligned with anything, it's not centred, and it's too far away from
the GUADEC logo to look as if they're grouped together.  It just
looks like it's been put there for no particular reason and nobody
really knows what to do with it :/

That apart, it's a nice clean theme, and if those things were sorted
out it would be pretty good.  (How does it do on accessibility?)

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Usability Engineer       Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team