Allocating size to [...] without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height()

Hi

I'm getting many warnings like

(gimagereader-gtk:835): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to gtkmm__GtkViewport 0xda8ac0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

And I suppose related to these warnings, I sometimes observe widgets (i.e. a treeview) resizing uncontrollably. How should one understand these warnings, resp. what is the programmer supposed to do about them?

Thanks

Sandro