Re: Bug in documentation: Gio::File Class Reference

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:

A large part of the documentation of glibmm (and gtkmm and many other *mm modules) is copied from the documentation of the wrapped C functions in glib (gtk+, etc.). The gmmproc command in glibmm modifies the documentation slightly, but not enough.

It's possible to manually fix such documentation errors, but I doubt that anyone wants to do it. It wouldn't take too much time to fix the 4 functions that you've found, but they're not worse than many many other functions. I think this is a kind of documentation error that you have to accept, unfortunately. Unless you, or someone else, make a considerable improvement of the gmmproc command.

There may be a middle way: somebody (not me) please enhance gmmproc to check whether an argument or the return value of a function is const char* or something similar. If it is, include a standard warning sentence like this one in the documentation: "strings in the *mm libraries are usually passed as string objects. Please expect inaccuracies in this documentation."

Mark