menubar issues

I have just changed my linux distro to Ubuntu 11.10 and the menubars from my (small and simple) applications have disappeared. When I compile (gtkmm 3.0), I get no error messages. Button signals work fine. Is this a problem with Ubuntu? Is there some additional set of files I need to install?

As a newbie, I assume that I have neglected something, but I am not sure where to look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Andy Gilman