Re: how do I find out if the focused object is an Gtk::Entry?

You can use a dynamic_cast.

Pointer style:
Gtk::Entry *ent(dynamic_cast<Gtk::Entry*>(widget_ptr));
if (ent)
{
	…
}

Reference style (I'm not 100% sure):
try
{
	Gtk::Entry &ent(dynamic_cast<Gtk::Entry&>(widget_ref));
	…
}
catch (std::bad_cast &)
{ }

Another way could be to user Gtk's functions to retrieve the inner GType…

yann