Login-session-wide accelerators?

Hi all! Gtkmm newbie here.

Apologies if this has been posted already. Searched but didn't find it. I
looked at AccelMaps in the online Doxygen pages, but got confused.

My program starts at login and runs in the background. There is a hidden
window. When the user presses a (configurable) hotkey combo - for instance,
Super+W - the window shows itself.

That's the plan, anyway. I can't figure out how to assign a hotkey that
works regardless of which window has focus (including the desktop).

Can someone point me to some relevant docs? I did think of assigning a
hotkey in [name of window manager], but I want this to be crossplatform so
ideally I'd like to do it in Gtkmm.

Thanks,
Adam J Richardson