set_cell_data_func - calling paradigm

I've setup a TreeViewColumn with a CellRendererText that has the set_cell_data_func callback setup.  Upon creation of a row(done upon creation of the parent widget), this callback is invoked three times.  It seems as though every time the row needs to be repainted (the cursor is moved  in and out of the row), the callback is again invoked.

Without knowing the specific implementation of the TreeViewColumn and CellRenderer architecture, this seems utterly unnecessary.  It seems as though one would be better off just adding another Column to store the textual representation of the data, alongside the data itself (this is of course assuming that the "native" columns/cellrenderers (columns/cellrenderers without an explicit set_cell_data_func callback setup) don't also exhibit this behavior).

Is this behavior normal?  If so, would someone mind explaining why?  If not would anyone care to enlighten me as to where lay my mistake(s)?

Thanks!
-Nate