Do I =?utf-8?b?X25lZWRf?= a custom CellRenderer?

Hey all, simple question here.

Using the ListStore, I've got a TreeModelColumn<boost::posix_time::ptime> in my
TreeModel::ColumnRecord.  Because the only instance of the data itself is in the
ListStore, I decided to use the ptime class because of it's support for
sub-second precision and comparisons.

Now, I realize I could write a custom CellRenderer, or setup the
set_cell_data_func callback, but I'm wondering if this is absolutely necessary
(I'm thinking it is, but didn't want to whip it up if it wasn't).  The boost
library has a method to convert the ptime object to an std::string, of which the
CellRendererText would take care of.  Is there an easier(cleaner) option(method)
of going about displaying this converted string than the aforementioned methods?

I appreciate your help, as the archive seems to show quite a lot of inquiries
about the TreeView and TreeModel architecture.

-Nate