a TreeModel that's sortable and filterable?

It looks like TreeModelFilter and TreeModelSort are separate derivations from TreeModel...pity.

If I wanted a TreeModel to be sortable and filterable, what's the best way forward? I assume I'd have to pick one and add the functionality of the other myself, or perhaps do something with multiple inheritance. What is recommended here? What's easiest?

And, I realize this calls for speculation, but can anyone say why this design decision was made? Seems like what I want to do would be relatively common.