possible to speed up gcc?

Hi,

I've been experimenting with Gtkmm in combination with GtkGlextmm, and while I like this approach over Gtk, I have already realized how much more time I will have to spend compiling; I would say it is about 20 times slower than Gtk.  Is there any way to lesson this?  Even if there are flags that may not be ideal for optimized or debugging code, but just to compile quickly and see the results.

I am using scons, and "pkgconfig --cflags --libs gtkglextmm-1.2", if this makes any difference.

regards,
Rich