Repainting

I have a gtkmm application that needs to handle transferring files.  However, the way I have it right now is that the transfer operation takes place in a separate thread.  Thus, I am having issues getting the application to repaint (if it is covered or to increment the progress bar).  I realize I should turn to a single-threaded approach, but I don't know how to get back into the main loop to allow gtk to process any repaint events while my transfer runs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Max