accelerators in a Gtk::Window

Hi,

I'd like to add some window-wide accelerators but without using a
menubar or a UIManager.

First I thought I'd need Gtk::AccelGroup, but that object seems to be a
read-only class, it is not possible to add further accelerators as
AccelGroup::connect() is not wrapped for some reason.

Then I connected to window->signal_key_press_event() but as it seems the
currently focused widget gets the keys first.

Do I need to grab the keyboard focus or there's another possibility?

--
Bazsi