Re: Invalid UTF-8 strings

On 5/31/07, Matt Bragano <maestro485 comcast net> wrote:
I've been getting this series of error messages when displaying certain
strings:

Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

I figured that the normalize() function might do the trick to get rid of
these warnings, but when using normalize() the program crashes with this
error:

glibmm-ERROR **:
unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
what: attempt to create string with null pointer

aborting...
Aborted

Also, the strings in question are just standard Glib::ustrings, no old C
strings or anything floating around.

Although the program behaves as expected when giving the pango warnings,
I would rather fix whatever problem might exist to eliminate the
warnings altogether.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt Bragano

one thing that's helpful when trying to determine what's causing
warnings like this is to run your program under your favorite debugger
with the environment variable G_DEBUG=fatal-warnings set.  This will
cause your program to exit when it issues a warning, at which point
you can examine what caused the error by using the debugger

--
jonner