FW: Confusion Over GTK Clipboard

I am a bit confused with regard to the GTKMM Clipboard. Essentially all of
the clipboard sources in my program will be from widgets that have the basic
Copy and Paste functionality such as Gtk::Entry and Gtk::TextView etc and
using the keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl + C) works well. However I want to
provide menu options for the user to use in order to copy and paste text. I
realise that classes that derive from Gtk::Editable (eg Gtk::Entry) provide
copy_clipboard() methods etc.

I'd like some advice on the best way to determine the widget the user has
text selected in, (and hence call copy_clipboard() etc), or on any other,
smarter method to achieve what I want to do.

Thanks,

--
JJ Harrison
noodle_snacks yahoo com au