Deriving from Gtk::ListStore

We are going to be creating many TreeView/ListStore based applications here
that have to work with our in-house asynchronous message architecture. I've
successfully prototyped this kind of application by using a message queue.
Instead of writing directly to the model, I put the data on the message queue,
and use a Glib::Dispatcher to notify the Gtk thread to pull the data off the
queue and put it into the model. Works great, but requires several steps.

What I'd like to do is wrap those steps up so my users can still write to
the model via the Row::operator[] or Row::set_value() interfaces, and all
the queueing stuff would happen behind the scenes for them. I'd like to
leave the rest of the ListStore (and supporting class) interfaces alone as
much as possible.

Can anyone offer a roadmap or an example on how to proceed from here? At
first cut, it looks like deriving from ListStore is a lot of work, and might
require me to build my own iterator classes, etc. which seems like a lot of
work. Or, is there a better way to wrap up the behavior I want to hide?

Thanks muhc,
Joaquim