Gnome Theme Creator

Hello,

For some time I was looking for a gnome application to create Metacity, GTK and GDM themes, but I didn't find any. So, I decided to learn GTKmm (I have some previous experience with C++) and write an app that can do that. Basically, I want the application to be entirely visual - something like Stardock's SkinStudio for Windows: http://www.stardock.com/products/skinstudio/.

My problem is I don't know which way to take:
1 - to use a canvas with images to draw all widgets (Window, buttons, progress bar, tabs, etc...)
or
2 - to use real widgets and modify their look using their methods, for example:

modify_style(const Glib::RefPtr<RcStyle>& style)

3 - any suggestions you might have

Can you give me some directions, suggestions or comments?