Problems building glibmm-2.8.9

Im using libsigc++-2.0.17 and glib-2.10.3 to try to
make glibmm-2.8.9.
Before configure I set GLIBMM_CFLAGS and GLIBMM_LIBS
to paths containing the include headers and libs
respectivly.
I add a --prefix to configure to make install to a
private folder on a communal server in my home dir.
When the make file enters the dir
/home/fal05/legistrate/NetworkingWrapper/Gnet/Compressed/Glibmm/glibmm-2.8.9/examples/markup
 and trys to build I get undefined refernces to
`g_build_pathv' and 'g_build_filenamev'.
I think these are supposed to be glib files, but I
dont know why make wouldnt be able to find them.
The only refernce I found to this vaguely eluded to
possible issues with versioning.
ANyone have suggestions?