Gtk::FileChooserDialog::run()

I'm confused about the showing and hiding of the dialog objects after their run function completes.

I'm opening a FileChooserDialog, calling run(), checking the response type for OK, and finally doing a little xml processing with Xerces which I check for exceptions. If I catch an exception I throw up a Gtk::MessageDialog.

But after Gtk::FileChooserDialog::run() completes that dialog is still visibile and my Gtk::MessageDialog goes on top of that instead of my main window. Is this expected behavior?