Re: Recommended way of building on OSX

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Daniel Kasak <d j kasak dk gmail com> wrote:
Hi all.

I've successfully ( largely ) built on OSX using jhbuild, and
compiling a local perl.

Anyway, I had to do a fair bit of hacking to get icons and themes to
display properly. I'm wondering if other methods ( MacPorts, homegrown
scripts, whatever ) are any better at getting a 'vanilla' setup that
actually works, and would also work nicely with a locally built perl.
Lastly, I'd like to be able to distribute all this 'somehow', though I
have no idea of packaging on OSX.

Are you using the X11 or Quartz backend for GTK?  If you want to use
the X11 backend, your users need to have X11 installed; depending on
which version of OS X, you can install it from the DVD, or you need to
install XQuartz.

Have you seen/do you know about these wiki pages?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX/Building
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK%2B/OSX/Bundling

Packaging on OS X requires making an "application bundle".

If you're looking to make an OS X application bundle that includes
Perl modules that use XS (such as Gtk2/Glib/G:O:I and friends),
probably the best way to go is to include your own copy of Perl in the
application bundle, unless you want to try and compile XS modules
"library bundles" for each version of Perl that comes with each
version of OS X that you plan to support.  The "Bundling" wiki page
above sort of talks about this, it says to use the language bindings
library as the main "program" inside the application bundle.

Thanks,

Brian