Re: [gperl_sv_from_value] FIXME: unhandled type - 84 (GVariant fundamental for GVariant)

hi Torsten;

On 2 September 2014 21:15, Torsten Schoenfeld <kaffeetisch gmx de> wrote:
On 02.09.2014 22:04, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
[gperl_sv_from_value] FIXME: unhandled type - 84 (GVariant fundamental for
GVariant)

What does it mean?

it means that perl-Glib does not support GVariant, which is true: the
whole API is missing, and will need binding.

Yeah.  It might make sense to try to use Glib::Object::Introspection for
that.

I doubt it: the GVariant API relies pretty strongly on variadic
arguments, and it's likely that you want to turn GVariants into
scalars wherever appropriate.

there is *some* API that we can probably bind using introspection, but
that raises a series of interesting questions as to which parts of
GLib (core and gobject) we can bind through introspection. I know that
the pygobject bindings are trying to get more and more gobject-level
API bound through introspection, and just leave the lower levels of
GLib (i.e. data structures), as well as the python <-> gtype type
system matching. it would be worth it to investigate what is the
"permeability level" of the hardcoded to introspected API ratio.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
http://www.bassi.io