Re: Tooltips don't appear every time while hoovering over a widget

On 03/05/2014 08:14 PM, zentara wrote:> On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 14:08:51 +0100
"Thomas Funk" <t funk web de> wrote:

"Emmanuele Bassi" <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

don't. GtkTooltips has long since been deprecated, and should never be
used in newly written code:

    https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/GtkTooltips.html

you should simply set the tooltip through the
Gtk2::Widget::set_tooltip_text() method (or set_tooltip_markup()
method, if you want to use Pango markup in the tooltips).

I tried this already but it has the same behaviour - tooltip is shown
around the corners of a widget only :-(

Could you provide a perl snippet so that I understand what I have to do?

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi, I don't want to contradict Emmanuelle Bassi, about
it being deprecated, but here is a script that works
with Tooltips.

The glitch as far as I remember, was that tooltip needed
an eventbox on non-windowed widgets, like Labels. I hope this
example helps.

First of all thanks for the script :-)

Gtk2::Tooltips doesn't work inside the module (SimpleGtk2.pm)
=> if you hoover the mouse cursor over a widget the tooltip only
appears at the border of the widget.

Outside, in the top level script (testem.pl) it works fine - you
can hoover inside the widget area around without the tooltip
disppears. But for the usage it would be better the module can
handle it.

For Gtk2::Tooltip I've found an example (in gmusicbrowser) for
set_tooltip_area and how that works ^^

But the same behavior as with Tooltips - with the default
set_tooltip_text tooltips only around the widget border

With the query_tooltip signal, too :-(

Probably I must use a window tooltip described here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Attic/GTK2-Perl/Recipes#How_can_I_programmatically_popup_a_tooltip_.3F

I've started a try with that using the two events enter and leave -
with print no problem, but showing another window it blocks the widget.

Perhaps I have to start it in a separate thread as I did it in
Python (I don't know if it is possible in Perl, too) ...

Or let the tooltips away.

I will make some other tests if this issue with the tooltips
showing only around the border depending on the fixed container
I put the widget in.

- Thomas ---
--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."   --
Albert Einstein