Re: [patch] Use a temporary directory as $HOME in the Gtk3 test suite

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM, intrigeri wrote:
Torsten Schoenfeld wrote (07 Dec 2013 23:14:28 GMT) :
On 10.11.2013 10:01, intrigeri wrote:
the attached patch (that we apply in Debian) fixes a test suite
failure in Gtk3, whenever it is run with a non-existent $HOME, which
is the case on the Debian buildds.

But that just begs the question: Why is $HOME not set properly on your
systems?

I'm unsure. My best guess would be that for some reason, one should
not take it for granted that $HOME is set, so not setting it on the
Debian build daemons allows to detect code that assumes it is set (at
build/test time), and as a result improve free software as a whole.

Indeed, package builds should not modify or rely on anything from $HOME.

Also, all software should fall back on getpwent() when $HOME is unset.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise