Re: utf8 odd behavior with Gtk2

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 19:24:28 +0200
Torsten Schoenfeld <kaffeetisch gmx de> wrote:

So the diagnosis is easy enough.  I'm not so certain about the correct
fix, though.

â Do we continue to use SvPV/newSVpv but also store the UTF8 flag, and
if it was set, restore it?

â Do we switch to always using SvPVutf8/newSVpvn_utf8, assuming that
@ARGV always contains UTF-8-encoded data?

â Do we switch to always using SvPVbyte/newSVpv, assuming that @ARGV
always contains Latin1-encoded data?

I'm leaning towards the first option, but I'm not sure.  I don't have a
firm grasp on the Perl/UTF-8/XS complex yet, and I've yet to see clear
documentation for XS authors.

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking just add another Gtk2 flag,
like "use Gtk2 qw(init utf8)".
And that utf8 flag would just incorporate the same code the utf8::all module
uses.

I'm just glad it's explainable, as I was getting a bit flusterred as to
what was going on with the inconsistencies. :-)

0m,
zentara