Re: widget visibility

My apologies for the off topic message, but Kevin's reply made me curious:

2010/11/24 Kevin Ryde <user42 zip com au>:
Ie. that ->visible() one is just the widget flags bits getter/setter,
it doesn't do anything. ÂThe pod could make that clearer.
âset_visibleâ
Or plain property "visible" as in $widget->set(visible=>1) in all
versions.
Is âvisibileâ a special case or is this true for all properties?
I always assumed (where available) that $widget->foo(foo_value) is
just a sugar coated version of $widget->set(foo=>foo_value).
I never had the curiosity to peek around its internals, but IMHO this
design decision sounds very weird. Do you happen to remember its
reasoning?
Thanks.