Re: Subclassing question

On May 16, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:

Technically, this is due to gperl_value_from_sv using g_value_set_boxed instead of g_value_set_static_boxed. The former copies the boxed object. I can't think of a reason not to use g_value_set_static_boxed there (other than "being defensive"). When I do this change, Glib's and Gtk2's test suites still pass.

muppet, do you remember why gperl_value_from_sv uses g_value_set_boxed instead of g_value_set_static_boxed?

Initially, we assumed that a boxed object always holds a copy. I was blissfully unaware of various deep subtleties when that code was new. :-) That gets wrapped up in "are you allowed to change this thing through your reference?" questions, but i think the important ones of those are taken care of for us upstream.

If that actually works, then i think we get a functionality win (some of the marshaler behave more usefully) that would be worth some bug reports, so i think it's worth pushing it out in an unstable release to see what happens.

Specific things to test would include custom treemodels and complex perl widget or cellrenderer implementations.

--
The front of your fridge may be cheap and nasty, but I hope the next time you look at the back of your fridge, you'll regard it with suitable admiration.
  -- Tim Hunkin, "The Secret Life of Machines"